Goodsill’s litigators represent clients pursuing (or defending) claims involving construction contracts, alleged construction or design defects, foreclosure and complex real estate litigation, landlord/tenant matters, summary possession, real estate property tax and assessments, land title disputes, condemnations, and lease/rent negotiations and arbitrations. We also have extensive experience advising and representing major commercial and residential developers in complex litigation, contract, disclosure, and warranty disputes, including class actions.
We work closely with attorneys in our real estate, tax, government relations, and environmental law groups to achieve cost-effective and often creative solutions, advising and representing clients in every type of dispute or controversy involving real estate.
- Construction Litigation – Representing developers, landowners, general contractors, and subcontractors in a wide variety of disputes, such as alleged construction defects, dust and ground settling, toxic torts, violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), personal injuries and wrongful deaths. Advising and successfully representing developers, engineering and construction firms, and a variety of contractors, in construction contract disputes and claims before the Contractors Licensing Board.
- Mechanic’s Liens and Construction Project Workouts – Representing developers, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, tenants, and construction lenders in mechanic’s liens, Miller Act and other payment disputes and workouts. This includes projects such as hotels, shopping centers, golf courses, and residential subdivisions.
- Disputes Involving Interests in Real Property – Representing lessees and lessors in condemnation proceedings under the Hawai‘i Land Reform Act (lease-to-fee conversion) and representing landowners in condemnation, adverse possession, quiet title, and other claims.
- Foreclosure, Summary Possession, Lease Disputes – Successfully representing corporate landowners in complex litigation involving redemption of tax sale property. Representing Asian, Hawai‘i, and mainland U.S. lenders in commercial and contested residential foreclosure actions.
- Land Use Matters – Representing numerous clients in zoning and land use matters, including coordinating development efforts for a national wholesale outlet chain and representing it in a contested case before the Honolulu Zoning Board of Appeals.